Thursday, October 30, 2014

My Writing Process [2]

For my genre paper I chose to write about biographies.  I chose biographies because they are the genre that made me become interested in reading.  I especially like reading biographies about athletes and musicians. 

In prewriting my paper I researched biographies and their defining features.  I found many useful resources, including resources that were useful in how to teach students about reading and writing biographies.  Although I did have trouble citing the sources in APA format.  

I found peer editing my paper in class helpful because my partner highlighted some parts of my papers that I should improve that I didn't notice myself.  For example, there is a paragraph that is only one long sentence, so breaking that sentence up into smaller sentences and perhaps elaborating on those ideas will improve the sentence structure in my paper.  I also need to work on starting my sentences in different ways because many of them start in a very familiar passive voice and it starts to sound repetitive.  

As a result of peer editing my first draft, going into my second draft I have identified my targeted areas of growth as: improving my sentence structure, using better sentence starters and transitions, and properly citing my paper in APA format.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to start off by saying that APA format is a pain in the butt. I know its necessary fro us to use, but I hate it. I also wanted to say that I agree that the peer review helped me in my writing process as well. I don't usually write drafts of my papers. I type and revise as I go. It was interesting hearing what people other than my teacher had to say about my writing. It was also helpful to se the errors that I had missed.

    ReplyDelete